5.16.2012

day 10 - the tates, alcohol and a baby shower

Today we visited the Tate Britain and the Tate Modern.
I loved the Tate Britian. Especially because they had an entire gallery of just Turner paintings. And let me tell ya, I love Turner. Lots. Times 10.
I even really enjoyed the post modern section (post modern is anything after 1970). There was a lot of really good stuff. Very well thought out and well executed.

Then we went over to the Tate Modern and all my happiness from the Tate Britain left my heart and floated away through the clouds into nothingness...
Okay, maybe it wasn't that dramatic, but I really didn't enjoy it. The majority of the museum was post modern work. One of the keys to post modern work is that it's all about the concept and idea and not necessarily about craftsmanship or the final product. And that's what frustrates me the most. I love art that has concept and something deeper than just looking pretty... but I feel like there are so many people who are using that philosophy as a cop out from producing truly good work.

I just wrote an entire long post ranting and raving about this idea and then deleted it. So that's all I'm gonna say about my thoughts on post modern art :)

In the Tate Modern's defense, there were some pieces that I liked a lot. Especially Damien Hirst's diamond skull. Over 8,000 diamonds laid in the skull. One of them a 52 carat diamond. The thing was incredible. Seriously. It was gorgeous and it absolutely blew my mind.

After we stopped by the oh so famous Hotel Chocolat. And I sampled a mystery chocolate... that was filled with rum. And it burned my mouth. I feel like it was a coming of age moment by unintentionally and unknowingly trying alcohol. Pretty nasty stuff and it was even coated in chocolate.

Then Rick made us chili for dinner. Bless that Rick. And some peeps threw him a baby shower. Are you questioning this yet? Let me explain.
Rick ordered the new Nikon D800 back in February. He was supposed to get this fabulous camera well before we left for Europe. However, due to miscommunications, employees saying things that weren't followed up, etc... he left for Europe with only a film camera and no D800.
So, they told him that they would mail it to him in London. But they didn't fill out the right customs paperwork and it got held up and after much drama and much worry... he finally got his camera. In celebration of Rick getting his baby, we are now having a baby shower. Decorations, cake, the whole 9 yards... Congratulations to the Rickster!

Now for some thoughts..

#1 - There are a ton of smokers in London. It's surprising actually how many there are.
#2 - Everyone walks their dogs through the streets and a lot of people have dogs... it makes me miss my poochies.
#3 - I really love the people in my group out here. They're awesome :)

Well, that's all my friends. I'm going to go to bed and get more than 7 hours of sleep. Yay me!

No comments:

Post a Comment